I just saw your mail address - you're one of the gurus who runs PlanetMirror,
aren't you? All hail he who provides my Mandrake ISOs! Huzzah! :-)

Hmm....personally, I don't see how you can do "something wrong" during a
DELETE. This is one of those non-descript problems that give me sleepless
nights.

As you said, the RPMs aren't an option - may I ask why? I deploy MySQL AB
supplied RPMs on all of my production servers (running a mixture of Mandrake
and Redhat) and seem to cope. I'm not having a go, just hoping we can see
something about your specific needs that might help with this problem.

Additionally, there is a MySQL AB RPM available that has both the 4.0.x and
3.23.x client libraries included.

Regards,

Chris