Over the last two days, we have upgraded the OS on our two database servers. We have one that handles the database for our content and the other handles the database for our forums.

For completeness sake, they were both running RH 7.1 with kernels patched for ReiserFS. The data was stored on a ReiserFS, Raid 5 partition. Both databases were running 4.0.15a.

Here is the problem we had.

We shut down server A cleanly and rsync'd the database dir over to server B. Shortly after doing this, we started getting 145 errors on some of the data we had just moved. We stopped mysql, repaired (myisamchk -of) the tables and got going again. Shortly after that, the tables were crashed again. We then repaired again, dumped to a .sql file, then recreated the tables from scratch. From that point on, no problems.

We upgraded server A to RH 9. We then moved all the data from server B over to server A using rsync. Again, shortly after, crashed tables. repair, no good. dumped the tables in question, rebuilt from scratch, no problem.

So, is there something I did that could have caused this? It was not the same tables each time. While I don't plan on moving the data around any time soon, I do need to set up a slave and don't want to screw anything up. I normally rsync or tar up the data on the master as LOAD DATA FROM MASTER has not proven reliable over WAN for me.

--
Brian Moon, dealnews.com, Inc.
dealnews.com  News on computer hardware bargains