[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks Joseph.

I just to another look at the query and it actually takes 65 seconds on the
first run, not 10 seconds, so this is important for me to understand.

So my next questions are:
Is there any way to tune the OS file system cache?

This is very OS system dependent and I don't know the answer for W2K (I am a Unix/Linux guy ;). However it seems that the basic rule in almost any OS is: Use all memory not used by running processes for file caching.

Is there any way to flush it or examine what's in it?

I don't think you can examine it. On Unix/Linux systems, I use a trick to flush it : I read a file bigger than RAM size. (Unix command: cat big_file > /dev/null)

Seems like if I wait a while, the long query happens again.  Looks like it
flushes itself after  some time - how often does it flush itself?

It is probably flushed because the OS needed some memory to read another file. On Linux, files stay in the cache as long as the system don't need to reclaim memory; least recently accessed memory is then reused. I suppose that W2K has the same behavior. If those long queries are a problem, you should consider adding more RAM to your server.

Thanks again,
-Bob

Hope this helps Joseph Bueno