Thank you Michael for your reply.

Ok, at least there is a good reason and now I too understand the reason
behind it.

I have to admit that even if I can remember having earlier read that part
you quoted I never really "understood" what there was written since the
logic behind this just didn't make sense to me.

But does anybody know if this is to be changed in the future for the
transactional db formats now ones supported ?

Michael, maybe your'e right about the client program having to do the
validation. But as (having) relied heavily on booleans, lists etc combined
with defining not null:s in the columns I'm somewhat shaken at the moment.

MySQL doesn't put in empty strings in int type columns, I was merely just so
upset I managed to get more of my test columns with varchar type.

Jan