Interestingly enough, when I configure 4.0.16 like this it builds ok:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/ --enable-shared --with-server-suffix=-imax-G5 --with-mysqld-user=mysql --with-comment --with-query-cache --without-docs --with-innodb --enable-thread-safe-client --with-bench --with-openssl --with-openssl-includes=/usr/include --with-openssl-libs=/usr/lib

It was the --with-raid option that caused my build problems.

Also, there are problems with configuring it with --with-openssl in Panther. Using just --with-openssl results in an error even though the includes are in /usr/includes/openssl and the libraries are in /lib. One problem seems to be that it is looking for libssl.a, which does not come with Panther, only libssl.dylib, so I changed the configure script to look for that and I was able to get it to build using --with-openssl-libs and --with-openssl-includes then.

- Gabriel