> 4) ALTER TABLE ENABLE KEYS -> Puts a full load on the CPU, but neither
> index nor table size seem to change, even after waiting for an hour.
> Based on smaller data sets, I'd expect the index to reach something
> close to 4 GB.

Update: After several hours, the index file started growing, although
very slowly. After another 21 hours or so the indexes were complete. The
final index file size is 4.43 GB.

I currently have the following options set:

key_buffer_size=64M
myisam_sort_buffer_size=64MB
bulk_insert_buffer_size=64MB

Any suggestions what else could be tried in order to get MySQL to scale?
Any important options I overlooked? Might InnoDB be faster?

--
Eric Jain