I have a table of full URLs and IPs and am using the following query to return
distinct web requests by domain. Using SUBSTRING_INDEX it only returns the
domain part of the URL:

SELECT SUBSTRING_INDEX(url, '/', 3) as topsites, count(distinct ip) as count
from tablename WHERE SUBSTRING_INDEX(url, '/', 3) LIKE '%mydomain%' group by
topsites order by count

Example output:

topsites                                                count

http://www.mydomain.com                    5
http://mydomain.com                             3

My question is how do I modify the query to get it to merge requests for the
same domain by ignoring the "www." so that the above would return:

http://mydomain.com                             8

I think it has something to do with adding

REPLACE('url', 'www.', '')

but I can't figure out where to put it to make it work.

Thanks!