Hi

Using mysql 3.28

I have a table with numerous columns and with a index on the surname
column

In order to give user a choice of searching on an exact name or using
soundex I did the following:

Inserted a new field in the table, SURNAME_SDX char(5)

Populated it from the surname column

UPDATE global SET SURNAME_SDX = soundex(SURNAME);

And then indexed SURNAME_SDX

CREATE INDEX soundex_index ON global (SURNAME_SDX);

And all works just fine.

Now this may be a stupid question (but I will ask anyway)

When I have been adding more data to the table I'm assuming the index
created on the surname column will be updated

But I have been dropping the  SURNAME_SDX field and then recreating it,
populating it and indexing it.

Am I doing this correctly or is there a quicker way.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

John Berman