* Andreas Ahlenstorf
> I've got a table with articles and a table with categories. Using a
> 'temporary' table it's easy to assign multiple categories to an
> article. The insert is no problem, because I can perform two queries,
> but for the output I get one row for every every category. But i like
> to get one row with every category name in a field, separated by a
> special character or something similar. Has anyone an idea to do that
> without a extra query for each article?

>From version 4.1 you can use the GROUP_CONCAT() function, I think it does
exactly what you are asking:

For versions 3.x and 4.0, I think the easiest way is to use some programming
language, but it may be possible to do it using mysql only, in some cases.
Is there a limited number of categories per article? Say, max five? Then you
could do five LEFT JOINS and use CONCAT() to glue it all togheter into one
column in the result.

--
Roger