I think that I must be missing something, as I agree with all the suggestions that to
change the seperate date element columns to a single date field, but Meli's original
post had a date falling into multiple quarters.  Now to my knowledge, a date can only
be in one quarter, from a calendar point of view, so maybe there's something more to
Meli's issue...

to store the info more efficiently for what you're saying, you could also use binary
as a guide

1 2 3 4
s n r t
t d d h
_______

8 4 2 1
- - - -
1000 = 8
0100 = 4
0010 = 2
0001 = 1
1100 = 12
1010 = 10
1001 = 9
0110 = 6
0101 = 5
0011 = 3
1110 = 14
1101 = 13
1011 = 11
0111 = 7
1111 = 15
0000 = 0 (which you don't have below but here for completeness)

and store a single number that represents the pattern you have below, replacing 'null'
with 0 and x as 1

> > x        null        null       null
> > null      x          null       null
> > null     null          x        null
> > null     null        null        x
> > x          x         null       null
> > x         null         x        null
> > x         null       null         x
> > null       x           x        null
> > null       x          null        x
> > null      null         x          x
> > x           x           x        null
> > x           x         null         x
> > x         null          x          x
> > null       x            x          x
> > x          x            x          x

Ladies and Gentlemen, the first real use of the bitwise section of the java
certification exam I have ever used!!!!!!!!