You should determine where your bottlenecks are first. Are the updates on
columns with keys? Can you disable the keys during the load? Are you using
extended inserts? Is there available memory? What is the cpu doing? etc...

-----Original Message-----
From: karthikeyan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 8:37 AM
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Time consuming table regeneration: JAVA & MySQL

I am in the process of regenerating all the tables as per the
requirement
of custom designed JAVA and JSP codes for 'chemistry' application. It
requires lot of time to read, modify and write back to database.
The Total number of data points per table containing various types of
data (INT, VARCHAR, SMALLTEXT,MEDIUMTEXT, DOUBLE etc.,)

1) 5,86,000 x 28;  (~17 hours)
2) 2,37,000 x 28;

I believe (as usual)  the delay it is due to Java routines rather than
MySQL. However I would like to take help of experts here to modify MySQL
configuration to improve the performance. Currently I am using default
configuration.

Should I upgrade to new version of MySQL (like jdk 1.3 to jdk1.4)
if what are the precaution I should take to avoid loss of data ..

=======================

#This File was made using the WinMySQLAdmin 1.4 Tool
#4/30/2003 8:51:39 AM

#Uncomment or Add only the keys that you know how works.
#Read the MySQL Manual for instructions

[mysqld]
basedir=C:/mysql

#bind-address=127.0.0.1
datadir=C:/mysql/data
#language=C:/mysql/share/your language directory
#slow query log#=
tmpdir=c:/temp
#port=3306
#set-variable=key_buffer=16M
[WinMySQLadmin]
Server=C:/mysql/bin/mysqld-nt.exe
user=karthi
password=********

other significant   i variables as seen in WinMySQLadmin 1.4: (can we
get this information as a text file? from mysql )
=========================
variable name :  value
=========================
bulk_insert_buffer_size: 8388608
innodb_buffer_pool_size: 8388608
innodb_log_buffer_size: 1048576
innodb_log_file_size: 5242880
interactive_timeout: 28800
join_buffer_size: 131072
key_buffer_size: 8388300
max_allowed_packet: 1048576
max_binlog_cache_size: 4294967295
max_binlog_size: 1073741824
max_heap_table_size: 16777216
max_join_size: 4294967295
max_write_lock_count: 4294967295
myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size: 268435456
myisam_max_sort_file_size: 2147483647
sort_buffer_size: 2097144
tmp_table_size: 33554432
version: 4.0.12-nt