Margrit,

your disk or file system is probably broken:

> InnoDB: Fatal error: cannot read from file. OS error number 17.

17 EEXIST File exists

The error number does not make sense in a file read. Strange.

You cannot remove ib_logfiles from an InnoDB installation. They are as
important as ibdata files.

You can look at http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#Forcing_recovery about
emergency recovery using a recent MySQL-4.0 version.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/