Subquerys don't become available until 4.1  Version 3.X does not support
them

>From Mysql.com
For MySQL versions prior to 4.1, most subqueries can be successfully
rewritten using joins and and other methods. See section 6.4.2.11 Rewriting
Subqueries for Earlier MySQL Versions.

Also, if they worked, the second select would return 5 rows of data, and
with an IN you would want a comma seperated list.  but then again, htis
method could work and i just may not be familiar with it.

hth
Jeff

                      "Jeff Sawatzky"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject:  subquery issue

                      11/14/2003 10:41

                      AM

I have a table called journal with the following fields

ID = auto INT

Date = DATE

Order = INT

Entry = TEXT

The table stores journal entries and saves the date that the entry was
entered on.  The Order just ells me what order the entries were entered
if there is more than one entry per date.  I want to retrieve all the
entries for that last five days with entries.  Below is my query, but it
doesn't work.

SELECT *, DATE_FORMAT(journal.Date, '%W, %M %D, %Y') AS newDate FROM
journal WHERE journal.Date IN (SELECT DISTINCT journal.Date FROM journal
ORDER BY journal.Date DESC LIMIT 5) ORDER BY journal.Date DESC,
journal.Order DESC

I get the following error:

Query failed : You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'SELECT
DISTINCT journal.Date FROM journal ORDER BY journal.Date DESC LIMIT 5)
O' at line 1

Does anyone know why this is happening?  The version of mySQL I am using
is 3.23.

Jeff Sawatzky

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

416-250-9111 x253