On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 03:31:18AM +0100, M. Bader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a little help on my SQL syntax.
>
> I want to store forbidden inputs from the GUI in a table and query it on
> input from the user;

This doesn't answer your question specifically, but rather, describes
a separate solution...

> simple layout:
>
> CREATE TABLE `forbidden_input` (`lfdnr` TINYINT (3) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0'
> AUTO_INCREMENT, `input` VARCHAR (255) NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(`lfdnr`),
> UNIQUE(`input`));
>
> Content is something like this:
> 1,'+'
> 2,'^'
> 3,'>'
> 4,'<'
> 5,'('
> 6,')'
> 7,'~'
> 8,'&'
> 9,'%'

Must the forbidden inputs be in a table?  Couldn't you use the
regular expression syntax instead?  Something like:

  SELECT `input` FROM lok_forbidden_input WHERE
    'Hello Wor&ld' regexp '[+^><()~&%]';

(This is utterly untested.  Tweak as neccessary. You might need to
backquote some characacters there...)

The point being, you can build your regular expression to contain
a list of weird characters you want to match.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (603) 434-6842