Why do you want to login as mysql?
This really is not a mysql question, but
while logged in as root, enter the command:
passwd mysql

Myhre, Julie wrote:

Hello,
I started my current job with MySQL already installed on a Linux box,
and no one seemed to know what the mysql account's password was....  I
want to know/change the Linux password so I can login as mysql.  So far
it has been fine to become root and su to mysql, as I don't do it THAT
often, but I need to stop using that route.

Does anything besides user-created scripts, etc., care what the Linux
mysql user has for a password?  I don't want some process to break
because I changed the account's password.

Many thanks in advance,
Julie Myhre

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.