Hello all,

Please forgive what seems like a basic question, but I'm noticing that my mysql server (4.0.16) is restarting every couple of days. I recently upgraded from 3.23.53, and it was doing something similar. Problem is that I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing this problem, and I'm concerned that it might cause some corruption in one of the databases.

This is on Solaris 8. Actually I've got two nearly identical servers running the same setup, each replication slaves to the other (but only one is actively taking connections and answering queries). The problem only occurs on the server with activity on it (it's also running apache, php, etc) and I suspect that it's a memory problem, although that doesn't completely make sense either.

Here's what I'm seeing in my logs with 4.0.16:

        Number of processes running now: 0
        031118 07:33:27  mysqld restarted
        031118  7:33:30  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
        InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...

What it comes down to is that I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing this. The log file isn't telling me much, I'm not seeing anything abnormal in the admin server logs, and I'm not sure where else to look.

Could someone point me in the right direction for solving this problem? And I'm also looking to confirm that this is mysqld actually crashing and restarting.

Thanks in advance,

Shane Iseminger