> what would the syntax be to delete all the data in a column for every
> record but still maintain the column?  In other words, I don't want to
> delete the column, just the data in it.

I would use an UPDATE and set it to '' or NULL, depending on your column.

> Second, is there a way I can LOAD a file of plain text passwords into a
> mysql database and encrypt them during the LOAD process?

I don't think you can run a function during LOAD DATA. But why not just do
another UPDATE after it has been imported?  Use a WRITE lock if you are
worried about security.

-will

Real-time Chat: irc.freenode.net -> #mysql
( http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/IRC.html )