Andy,
Thanks for responding. I think that I am going to go with the idea of creating a tale for each day. My thoughts were to write a shell script to do this for me, but I am running into a problem: I wrote the following:
#!/bin/sh
date=`date "+%m%d%Y"`
export date
mysql -u root -p < createdb.sql

Then in createdb.sql
CONNECT Blah;
CREATE TABLE $date (
) TYPE=MyISAM;

But it's not passing the $date variable to SQL :/ I've been looking on the web for a way to do this, but have yet to find it. any ideas?

Julian

At 12:37 PM 11/21/2003 +0000, Andy Eastham wrote:
Julian,

Your design is sound in my opinion.  An area you probably need to consider
is when you need to search across a day boundary.

You will need to make the application aware that it needs to search across a
day boundary, so that it searches two tables with a union where necessary.
It will also need to know what the oldest table is, so that it doesn't try
to do a union with a table that doesn't exist.

Alternatively, you could always search across three tables - so that you
always union with the one before and one after the required time window.  Of
course, you again need to check that you're not searching the earliest or
latest available table, and if so, modify the union so that you don't try to
search a non-existent table.

Hope this helps,

Andy