There could be a number of things going on.
It would help troubleshoot your problem if your
script check for errors and print them if there are any.   You cant
just assume a connection is being made just because phpmyadmin connects.
Your web app has to make its own connection.
So how about showing us one of your scripts.  I bet it is something
simple youre overlooking in your setup.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I hope someone might be willing to help out.
I'm trying [still] to learn MySQL and php - to create some simply web based database.

I have installed quite a few php/MySQL web database apps from books, however, none of them will get data entered into my database.
When I create the database exactly as instructed, everything works great, but when I create the form to send/add a new record to my db then look at the db the new data is not there.
This happens repeatedly with every example I build. I can add records using a terminal or phpMyAdmin.

I'm running MySQL 4.0.14, Mac OS X 10.3, PHP 4.3.2.

I installed 'tasks' - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17996

and it works just fine! but it is too big for me to use to compare to my very simple scripts.
Here is one I have recently installed whose data will not enter:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/21/index3a_page4.html? tw=programming

I believe my db connection is being made (I may be wrong), after all my phpMyAdmin app also works fine.

I would be very grateful is there might be a kind soul who would work with me to help me to find out what is wrong? I have had dbs before that worked fine, I don't understand this problem at all.

Thanks,
Ted