Carlos wrote:

& have got no idea how to uninstall it completely off
the system.

You could try something vaguely like this:

# mkdir -p cd /tmp/mysqluninst
# cd /tmp/mysqluninst
# tar xvzf path-to-mysql-bin.tar.gz
# find . -exec rm /{} \;

DO NOT RUN THIS if you do not understand how it functions. It may contain bugs, and I won't be responsible if you blindly run it and it eats your filesystem. Even if you think you know how it functions, you should probably replace the 'rm' part of the last command with something harmless so you can ensure that it does the right thing before re-issuing the command with 'rm' instead.

If you don't understand what I have done above and you are unwilling to learn, just disable the mysql server and don't bother erasing its files. It's probably only a few megs of disk space anyway.