I am using 4.0.15 on RedHat 7.3 and ran it to a strangest problem today.

SELECT col FROM table WHERE site_id=123;
returns a list  of data.

SELECT col FROM table WHERE site_id IN(123);
returns an empty set.

Upon further investigation, I found cases when the IN() syntax gets a
smaller subset of the data.

e.g.  SELECT day FROM table WHERE site_id IN(123);
gets me data up to 2003-03-23, whereas the other form of the query has data
going all the way through current.

I've been using the IN syntax quite a bit and never noticed a problem
before.  For those cases when you expect a list of values, this is a very
convenient syntax.  I still feel like there is something obvious I am not
seeing.  Or is this a bug?  Table corruption?  Only this is happenning
across multiple tables (various summaries).

Thanks for the help!