Hi again,

I have stored UTF-8 encoded usernames in a table and need a properly sorted
output. I tried with 'ORDER BY Name', but it won't sort extended ASCII
characters correctly by their values but rather by some similarity with
other letters. In my example, the Unicode character starts with a value,
that looks like an 'A' with some kind of accent on it. So it gets sorted at
the end of A's. But I don't want this and have it sorted at the very end of
the list. I believe, also the BETWEEN operator is concerned by this.
I know that 'real' accented letters are sorted at the end, too, by this way,
but this seems still a little more logical than having any non-letter
characters displayed in between of letters.

So is there any possiblity to switch ORDER BY sorting character set to use
no intelligence and only sort strings by their ASCII value? I haven't found
some suitable way in the documentation. Ah, btw, I can't do any changes at
the server itself. It must be solved by a query or a query parameter or
something like this.

The best solution would be to apply UTF-8 sorting order (now with accented
letters intelligence, again) on the names, but MySQL 4.0.16 doesn't really
have UTF-8 support, does it? And it will still take a while until until 4.1
will be production release...

--
Yves Goergen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]