Keith C. Ivey wrote:

On 1 Dec 2003 at 16:32, Kevin Carlson wrote:

select * from DateInfo where DATE_FORMAT(updateDate, '%m/%Y') =
'03/2003'

I have an index on the updateDate column but it does not seem to be
used since I am altering the value with the DATE_FORMAT function in
the where clause.

How about something like this?

I appreciate your help, but my problem is not this exact query as it was used for an example only. My question was whether or not it was possible to use functions in the definition of an index. Other functions would be of interest, too, such as UPPER(). Other commercial databases such as Oracle support this type of thing. All I'm really looking for is an answer to that question.