Hi All,

I have an issue that someone in the MySQL community might be able to help me
with:

I am running a web application, a web bulletin board system (Ikonboard) and
a Ticket Tracking system (OTRS) and
I want to integrate the three of them. They all run on a MySQL database. The
three systems need to share data in
the following way: my web application stores information about customers and
employees. In terms of OTRS
customers would be.... yes, customers and employees would be agents. While
in terms of Ikonboard, employees would
be members. As I want to prevent data from the customer and employee tables
to be duplicated as little as possible
(preferably no duplication at all) I am looking for a way to share the data
between the three. Having an Oracle
background I thought of creating views in the OTRS and the Ikonboard
databases linked to the customer and
employee tables in the web application database. This would, in my opinion,
create the cleanest solution for this
problem. I would hardly have to change any code in OTRS and Ikonboard (if
any at all), there are no problems with
data integrity and I am putting the solution where it belongs: in the
database so version updates to OTRS and
the Ikonboard will have minimal impact. However, as we all know MySQL does
not support views in any way.
I know I could write wrappers around the data access routines from OTRS and
Ikonboard but I am afraid that I may
create a maintenance nightmare. Does anyone know of a better solution for
this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Tom Hesp