[snip]
What if I don't have phpmyadmin available? :)

What I am trying to do, it setup a simple script to pull down
essentially a backup of their database and write it to a file on my
development machine so when they mess up their data (..and I said WHEN)
I can be a hero and revert them to the last good backup before they
"didn't touch a thing".
[/snip]

Dude...phpmyadmin is free! ;) You can install it on a local server, but
connect to mysql on the remote server(s). I use it to manage several DB
servers including our test farm. Doing a dump is as simple as selecting
some particulars and clicking 'go'.