I have searched the archives for a solution to my problem and also the FAQ
and the mysql documentation but can't seem to resolve it.

I am exporting a tab delimited file from FileMaker Pro 5.5 using Mac OS
10.3.

I am uploading the file to my hosted server running RedHat
Linux 7.2. I am then importing the file to a mysql (4.0.15-standard) table
using this code (Perl DBI).

$sth = $dbh->prepare (qq{LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE '$file_to_load' REPLACE
                        INTO TABLE Listing_Data
                        FIELDS TERMINATED BY '\t'
                        ESCAPED BY '\'
                        LINES TERMINATED BY '\r'
                        IGNORE 0 LINES});

The problem is that apsotrophy (') and quote (") characters do not escape
properly - I am getting (Õ) and (Ó) characters instead.

I have tried a test of escaping the text e.g. Johnson\'s Rd. - but it
doesn't seem to make it through the import.

Have also tried running the text through a Perl substitution on the server

this escapes the characters in the text file but they still appear incorrect
in the mysql table. The default character set for the database is latin1.

This is likely something simple but I've spent too much time on it with no
results - hope somebody can help - thanks.

Bob MacIsaac