From: Chuck Gadd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 13:17
To: Uros Kotnik; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Speed difference between boolean full-text searches and
full-text searches

Uros Kotnik wrote:

> Time for first SQL : 21 sec.
> SELECT artists.name, cds.title, tracks.title FROM artists, cds, tracks
> WHERE artists.artistid = cds.artistid AND artists.artistid =
> tracks.artistid AND cds.cdid = tracks.cdid AND MATCH (artists.name)
> AGAINST ('madonna'IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND
> MATCH (cds.title)AGAINST ('"music mix 2001"'IN BOOLEAN MODE)

In this case, it cannot resolve the query JUST using indexes.

After finding all records in the index where artists.name matches
madonna and title contains all the words "music", "mix", "2001",
then it must retrieve each record, and examine the title field to
see if the three words are found together in the phrase.

In your other example, it only needs to use the fulltext indexes
to know which records satisfy your query, resulting in MUCH
faster query time.