Hello all,

I'm having an issue with mySQL that causes some poor performance.

I'm running mysql  Ver 13.5 Distrib 4.1.0-alpha, for portbld-freebsd5.1
(i386); front-end is Apache 1.3.27 with PHP 4.1.1. My database is using all
MyISAM tables, with 50 or so tables and about 60MB of total data.

My overides on variable defaults are:

[mysqld]
set-variable = max_connections=500
set-variable = table_cache=128
set-variable = key_buffer_size=32M
set-variable = query_cache_size=32M
set-variable = long_query_time=3
set-variable = tmpdir=/usr/tmp

CPU use on the mySQL server is usually 20% - 30%; but every so often it
jumps to almost 100% and remains there for some time. My site slows to a
crawl. When I check SHOW PROCESSLIST I see a large number of processes in
'Locked' status, and one as 'Creating tmp table'. When I manually kill this
process, the server returns to normal.

I turned on slow query logging and general query logging, and I'll be
looking through them for any strange queries, but aside from that, is there
anything I can do to prevent this locking issue?

Thanks all,

Joshua Thomas
Network Operations Engineer
PowerOne Media, Inc.
tel: 518-687-6143
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice
there is.
- Yogi Berra
---