On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:26:10 -0600 Tariq Murtaza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Please comment on Best Practices for sharing members database between
> different portals.
>
> Suppose we have 3 portals running on different networks.
> Assignment is to make a single Login/Pass for all portals, means once
> LogedIn in one of the portal, could able to access the other portals
> without loging In.
> Constraints are, every portal have different Database structure and
> also have different Global / Session variables.

In one word, webservices, more specifically the nuSoap library (for
PHP). Take the user databases out of the 3 portals and unify them in one
place. Add an interface (webservice server) in front of the user db that
will handle user authentication and session tasks. Add code in the 3
portals that will talk SOAP to the user db interface, thus making the
portals webservice clients.

The beautiful part is, the portals can have completely different
databases, languages, or webservers. They just each need a bunch of
functions that speak SOAP and that implement a common user auth/session
API.

If you're worried about having to connect to the user db for each page a
portal serves, you can cache the session ID locally in each portal's own
database after the authentication. But you'll run into some other issues
this way.

There's however one big problem I see here: I don't see how you're gonna
convince a browser to remember state information from one site address
and apply it automatically to the other two portals upon login. You
can't set cookies for other domains.

--
Skippy - Romanian Web Developers - http://ROWD.ORG