Anyone has an idea about this issue?
Thanks in advance!!!

Regards,
Stefan

Stefan Egli wrote:

Hi there,

I'm having problems running two versions of mysql simultaneously on the same box.
The versions I'm using are:
* mysql 3.23.48
* mysql 4.0.16

What happens:
* I have the 3.23 version up and running (can see that it has 5 processes running with ps,
and 'bin/mysqladmin status' shows that it's nicely running locally
* When I start up the 4.0.16 version it seems to bring down the 3.23 version... First,
the 4.0.16 version itself starts up with error messages and the 3.23 can no longer be
queried ('bin/mysqladmin status' says it cannot connect). The error message from the
4.0.16 startup is:
'Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied'

What I did with the 4.0.16 is to have it run on a different socket & file.

Anyone can help me out on this? What could go wrong when you have two versions
running? Am I running with wrong user? But then, why does the start of 4.0.16
somehow crash the 3.23 version (the processes of the 3.23 version are then still
there but not reachable. Killing the child processes of the mysql daemon brings
3.23 up and running again)?

Thanks for any help!
cheers,
-se