The subject says most of it. I'm moving mysql data from one machine to
another. --quote-names works on tables and columns, but it seems to be
skipping the database names. (`-` is the character throwing the restore
off)

I'm doing this on some older mysql boxes (not by much from
mysql-server-3.23.54 -> mysql-server-3.23.57

My next alternative (that I'm not fond of) is doing the same as the
documentation recommends for replication...

flush tables with read lock && tar -czf blah.tar /var/db/mysql && unlock
tables.

Thanks for any suggestions or help in advance,

Gerald