I'm having sporadic myisam table corruption. This table is constantly being
added to, updated, and deleted from. PHPMyAdmin reports that "The table is in
use" when I try to access this table after corruption.  After I perform this
step in the correct directory everything goes back to normal.

myisamchk --recover troubled_table

After reading the mysql manual page I changed all the VARCHAR fields to CHAR
fields, hoping my problem would dissapear. This change has had no effect on
my problem. The only things in the error log are start ups and shutdowns
performed nightly.

Here's the table definition.

CREATE TABLE troubled_table (
  office smallint(4) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ticket_id char(30) NOT NULL default '',
  item_quantity mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  from_face char(30) NOT NULL default '',
  from_down decimal(6,1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0.0',
  from_up decimal(6,1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0.0',
  from_depth decimal(6,1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0.0',
  to_face char(30) NOT NULL default '',
  to_down decimal(6,1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0.0',
  to_up decimal(6,1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0.0',
  to_depth decimal(6,1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0.0',
  associated_document char(30) NOT NULL default '',
  PRIMARY KEY  (office,ticket_id),
  KEY move_id (ticket_id)
) TYPE=MyISAM COMMENT='Material Move Orders';

mysql --version says:

mysql  Ver 12.20 Distrib 4.0.13, for pc-linux-gnu (i686)

What can I try now?

James Hicks