Hi all!

I've got a few questions that I was hoping some of the fine readers of
this list could help me out with. I'll probably be going into a
development meeting this coming week and will need to have some
information up my sleave to ensure the mighty MySQL is selected as the
database backend for the application being developed.

1. We all know that InnoDB can be backed up "hot" (by various means). I
know that there are a few MS SQL Server (ick) and DB2 lovers in the
group I'll be meeting with this week. I also know that these two
databases do a form of online backup.

Given that they are not multiversioned, how on earth do they actually
provide this functionality? I guess this ties in with how they implement
the READ REPEATABLE isolatation level. Any comments on implementation,
performance and other info would be gladly received!

2. I've been told on good authority (by persons on this fine list) that
Sybase and PostgreSQL (and, from personal experience, SQLBase) support
ROLLBACK of DDL statements such as DROP TABLE, ALTER TABLE, RENAME TABLE
etc. From what I can gather, neither BDB nor InnoDB do this.

Does anyone know what sort of technical challenges making the above
statements "undoable" involve over and above INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE
statements? Would this functionality be something that MySQL AB /
Innobase Oy would be interested in developing should it be sponsored?

3. At the moment, the MySQL API seems to have a size limit of 16 MB for
data sent over the wire (I have seen that the MySQL 4.1 libraries allow
for sending information in chunks along with prepared statements). I
take it the best method of inserting greater amounts of data into a
column would be by first writing the file somewhere on the database
server and using LOAD DATA? Any comments on this of any type from the
learned populace of MySQL users? :-)

4. In a DB server that has 2 physical disks running MySQL 4.1.1 Alpha
and utilising the multiple table space feature of InnoDB, what
distribution of files (ibdata, log files, individual table space files)
is likely to result in the best performace? Any insights of similar type
for using MyISAM tables?

All responses will be gratefully received!

Regards,

Chris