True initially...  What I've done is use a java appserver frontend (orion)
that's a caching server.. It gets the request, checks if it has the image
in it's memory cache, if so serves it, otherwise goes to the backend and
gets it, stores in memory cache, serves it..

Very fast and aleviates alot of redundant queries..  You can also set an
expire time, etc on the content..

I've seen a PHP implementation of this aswell storing the files in /tmp
and checking their timestamp to see when to refresh...

You could perhaps use something like squid or something to cache/proxy
images aswell.. never tried it though..

good luck..