I have a simple MySQL replication system setup with a single master and a single slave. The slave is running 4.0.16-standard and the master is running 4.0.16-standard-log.

On an (almost) daily basis, I get this error on my slave:

031216 9:55:44 Error reading packet from server: log event entry exceeded max_allowed_packet; Increase max_allowed_packet on master (server_errno=1236)
031216 9:55:44 Got fatal error 1236: 'log event entry exceeded max_allowed_packet; Increase max_allowed_packet on master' from master when reading data from binary log
031216 9:55:44 Slave I/O thread exiting, read up to log 'el-bin.001', position 589631188

Note, this does not happen at the same time during the day and it does not happen every day.
I know this is not a problem with max_allowed_packet because I have set both the master and slave to a max_allowed_packet that exceeds the size of the binary log file!
Any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point replication is unreliable enough that it doesn't do us any good.

--
 Andy DePue
 Software Developer