For RedHat, just download the rpms and install it, it's far much simpler...

Nicolas

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Sinnwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 1:21 PM
Subject: Installation Question - RedHat 9.0

I am trying to setup Jabberd2 as a test for our IT users and have run into a
few issues.  Here is a link to the instructions I'm following:

http://www.jabberdoc.org/app_mysql.html

I know there are things missing because after I complete the "make install"
in step A.4.6, it goes right on to have me change the root password, but
mysqld isn't even running at this point.

Could someone that has installed mySQL many times give these a look and see
what steps they have left out that I will need for RedHat 9.0?  One other
step that doesn't appear to be correct is A.4.9 because
/usr/local/var/mysql/ does not even exist after the install as they describe
it.

Also, if I want mysqld to start every time the computer is booted, and use
the mysql user that I created per these instructions, is this what I would
add to rc.local:

/usr/local/libexec/mysqld --user=mysql &

Is rc.local the correct file to put this in or is there a better place?  Any
help that is provided will be much appreciated.  Thanks!