I have run into this a few times now, and am wondering there is a
solution:

I have two queries:

(1) select query on a MERGE table
(2) 'alter table' on the same MERGE table.

As expected, the select query will lock the 'alter table'
query. The alter table query is intended to swap one of the
tables in the MERGE set.

Now if the 'select' query isn't critical, I would like to
kill it if it takes too long. However, as a result I have
the 'kill flag' set on the query, for a long time, without
it actually dying (e.g. it says in 'send data' status).

is there anyway to avoid this issue? E.g. a way to kill the
select faster?

Usually I am ending up with load running out of control, and
in a few cases, mysql is crashing as a result.

Also: the status of the 'alter table' is 'rename result table',
not 'locked' or 'waiting for table'.

Johannes Ullrich                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         [EMAIL PROTECTED]