Sandeep N Seshadri wrote:

hello every one, i am in the process of converting my database from access to mysql ... now tat
i have started working with mysql i have realized that my subqueries wont work
here ... i read the article on how to handle some of the simple subqueries with
joins ... my subquery is as follow and i dont think i couldnt really convert it ...

Select Payment_Date from payments where Payment_Id in (select max(Payment_id) from payments where Payment_Claim_Id=#Claim_Id#)

wat option do i have other than using 2 queries ...

Also i am doing my developement using mysql 4.0 version ... i see that 4.1 is in
its alpha does anyone have an idea when it be ready to use for production ... (if it could be used for production then ... i dont have to do the painfull
conversions )
Sandeep

From what I gather on the mailing list, MySQL-4.1.1 should be stable enough. I'm holding off on upgrading here because of the changes to the authentication system. If you want to use 4.1.x now, you have to set up your accounts under 4.0.x and then upgrade to 4.1.x. But this makes me a little nervous with regards to disaster recovery. Once a version of MyODBC that supports the new authentication system in 4.1.1 is out, I would have no problem recommending 4.1.1. Until then, you can do it, and you'll probably be fine, but don't look at me if things go wrong and you're offline for a few hours while you figure out how to restore from a backup and set up authentication again...

As for the 2 queries option, I find this works quite well. In Access, you can set up 'pass through' queries, which is where Access doesn't handle the query at all - it passes the SQL straight to MySQL, and then receives the results back as a read-only recordset. You can then use this query in your 2nd query. I've found also that if you turn on MySQL's query cache, this speeds up ENORMOUSLY ... Access seems to re-issue the same query over & over again for each record it finds in the other table, and the query cache handles this quite nicely :)

Post back if you want help setting up pass-through queries.

Dan