* rmck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2003-12-19 01:24 +0100]:
> I'm trying to uderstand the difference between these tables
> (mysql.user, mysql.db) v.4.0.  [...] I'v looked at the manual, but I'm just
> not getting it... Can someone break it down for me...

Very rough explanation:

- the user table contains the password and global (that is all-database
  and server-administration) rights for each [EMAIL PROTECTED];
- the db table can add rights to specific databases.

> But since user says 'N' for all options for this user from "hostname1"
> does that override the db table options??

If you have a look at
<http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Administration.html#Connection_access>
and
<http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Administration.html#Request_access>

you will read that
"The privileges for a column can be calculated as follows:
        global privileges
        OR (database privileges AND host privileges)
        OR table privileges
        OR column privileges"

So there is no overriding. Only the "Y" values count.

BTW, after fiddling with the "mysql"-database, don't forget to "FLUSH
PRIVILEGES" or "mysqladmin reload"...

--
Johannes Franken

MySQL Professional