Hello everybody.

    I have a clarification/solution to request. I am currently in the
process of designing a web application with JBoss 3.2.2 and MySQL 4.0.16.
The application is a data centric application with huge list of products
(tens of thousands). Sets of products are grouped into Categories. These
categories are maintained in a hierarchical fashion in the database. There
is no restriction on the number of levels that this categories can go to.
The requirements are to help an admin user manage product categories and
also to be able to bifurcate a category. To cite an example, let us take a
category of Toys which has 100 products beneath it. The admin user wants to
split the Toys category based on age group. he can split the category into
any sub categories ( 3 Yrs - 8 Yrs, 9 Yrs - 15 Yrs, 16+). The admin user
will now have to split the 100 products into these categories. He cannot
leave any products in the Toys category. There are two risks associated with
this:

  a.. The user doesn't finish the multistep process. (handled by the use of
session variables)
  b.. The admin user needs to test the application (data changes) on a
staging environment before he can confirm the changes to production.
  c.. The admin user needs to be able to roll back changes if he is not
satisfied with the changes made.

    I was planning to use replication. This is described in detail at the
url document(http://www.aspiresys.com/karthik/procs.pdf). The process works
fine as long as the data is correct. given the approach I would like to know
how I can roll the old transaction back. Also I want to know the best method
to achieve this. This is pretty important and any help would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks
Karthikeyan B