The MacOS X package installer runs mysql_install_db itself, I've chown-ed and chgrp-ed the relavent files (even though the installer did that as well) and everything because I thought it was a permissions problem.

However, I did wipe it and install mySQL 4.0.17, which works fine, so it may be a problem with 4.1.1a.

-Jon