Hi,

I'm not sure if that subject made any sense!? What I'm looking to do is take an existing product we have (a software defect tracker) that uses flat files to store defect entries. Modifications to each defect are recorded as diffs using the perl module RCSLite (like your standard RCS, but all in perl).

Because this is all currently in files, in our performance tests we've done we're (obviously!) seeing slow downs when processing a database with large numbers of entries. And that's not just the equivalent of full-text searches.

We have sketched out a few database designs that can replace it, but all would involve losing the revision history of each entry (there is some reluctance to do that!).

During it's lifetime, each 'defect' in the database gets modified, probably, on average 3 or 4 times, at most, maybe 10. Modifications are usually additional text (not allowed to modify old text), state changes (like open -> fixed -> ready for test, etc), and who the defect is assigned to.

As I said, we have database designs that can replace *most* of what we have already, but I'm interested in the RCS side of things, and whether anybody has any experience of doing this sort of thing (RCS) or some tips to share.

Thanks very much.

--
Regards,
Steve