Hello Every Body ,
I have been facing a strange problem, that i assume its a mysql bug of
some sort.

In my datadabase there are 2 tables, if i tried to add any index to them
,any INSERT INTO request status will be - in show processlist- update
and will freeze like this forever , and consequently all inserts ot this
table stays in the que, untill mysql stops responding.

If i drop the INDEX on those tables INSERTS works fine, once i create
ANY index except PRIMARY  index, INSERTS fails.

ALL kind of tricks, like myisamchk, drop table and creating a new one,
even moving it to a new machine seems to cause the same problem.

Running Mysqld 4.0.16 / 4.0.17 ( tried both) on AMD opteron 2 gig ram
using MySQL Binaries on REDHAT AS3.

one of The table structures:

CREATE TABLE `keywordlog` (
  `username` char(40) default NULL,
  `country` enum('Unknown','Unknown','AD','Andorra','AE',**removed rest
of enumerate due to restricton on email size**,'ZW','Zimbabwe') NOT NULL
default 'Unknown',
  `ip` char(15) NOT NULL default '',
  `time_date` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
  `keyword` char(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `refer_url` char(70) default NULL,
  `request_url` char(70) default NULL,
  `xmlstatus` enum('HTML','XML') NOT NULL default 'HTML',
  `bid` char(6) NOT NULL default '',
  `toolbar` int(1) default '0'
) TYPE=MyISAM;

/etc/my.conf
-----------------

socket          = /opt/lams/pid-lock/mysql/gnr31.sock
port            = 3306
pid-file        = /opt/lams/pid-lock/mysql/gnr31.pid
basedir         = /opt/lams/servers/mysql
datadir         = /opt/lams/database/gnr31
user            = mysql
#flush
#innodb_force_recovery = 6

#-----------------------#
# config                #
#-----------------------#

open-files-limit = 65536
max_connections  = 400
#log-long-format
#myisam-recover = QUICK,FORCE

# -----------------------#
#Tunning and optimization#
#------------------------#

skip-innodb
#no innoDB
skip-bdb
#no berkely database
skip-external-locking
skip-thread-priority
#Disable using thread priorities for faster response time.
#delay-key-write = ON
#delay-key-write-for-all-tables
#low-priority-updates
#Table-modifying operations (INSERT/DELETE/UPDATE)
#will have lower priority than selects.

key_buffer               = 600M
max_allowed_packet       = 1M
table_cache              = 512
sort_buffer              = 2M
record_buffer            = 2M
thread_cache             = 8

query_cache_type         = 1
query_cache_size         = 20000000
#query_cache_min_res_unit = 1000

log-warnings

# -----------------------#
#Temp , and Logs         #
#------------------------#

tmpdir                     = /opt/lams/temp/mysql
log-update                 = /opt/lams/logs/mysql/gnr31/log-update
log                        = /opt/lams/logs/mysql/gnr31/log
log-error                  = /opt/lams/logs/mysql/gnr31/log-error
log-slow-queries           = /opt/lams/logs/mysql/gnr31/slow-queries

show status:
---------------------------

+--------------------------+------------+
| Variable_name            | Value      |
+--------------------------+------------+
| Aborted_clients          | 0          |
| Aborted_connects         | 4          |
| Bytes_received           | 4636115    |
| Bytes_sent               | 7951527    |
| Com_admin_commands       | 0          |
| Com_alter_table          | 2          |
| Com_analyze              | 0          |
| Com_backup_table         | 0          |
| Com_begin                | 0          |
| Com_change_db            | 13680      |
| Com_change_master        | 0          |
| Com_check                | 0          |
| Com_commit               | 0          |
| Com_create_db            | 0          |
| Com_create_function      | 0          |
| Com_create_index         | 0          |
| Com_create_table         | 0          |
| Com_delete               | 1615       |
| Com_delete_multi         | 0          |
| Com_drop_db              | 0          |
| Com_drop_function        | 0          |
| Com_drop_index           | 0          |
| Com_drop_table           | 0          |
| Com_flush                | 0          |
| Com_grant                | 0          |
| Com_ha_close             | 0          |
| Com_ha_open              | 0          |
| Com_ha_read              | 0          |
| Com_insert               | 2886       |
| Com_insert_select        | 0          |
| Com_kill                 | 0          |
| Com_load                 | 0          |
| Com_load_master_data     | 0          |
| Com_load_master_table    | 0          |
| Com_lock_tables          | 0          |
| Com_optimize             | 0          |
| Com_purge                | 0          |
| Com_rename_table         | 0          |
| Com_repair               | 0          |
| Com_replace              | 0          |
| Com_replace_select       | 0          |
| Com_reset                | 0          |
| Com_restore_table        | 0          |
| Com_revoke               | 0          |
| Com_rollback             | 0          |
| Com_savepoint            | 0          |
| Com_select               | 16321      |
| Com_set_option           | 1          |
| Com_show_binlog_events   | 0          |
| Com_show_binlogs         | 0          |
| Com_show_create          | 1          |
| Com_show_databases       | 20         |
| Com_show_fields          | 13         |
| Com_show_grants          | 0          |
| Com_show_keys            | 5          |
| Com_show_logs            | 0          |
| Com_show_master_status   | 0          |
| Com_show_new_master      | 0          |
| Com_show_open_tables     | 0          |
| Com_show_processlist     | 48         |
| Com_show_slave_hosts     | 0          |
| Com_show_slave_status    | 0          |
| Com_show_status          | 2          |
| Com_show_innodb_status   | 0          |
| Com_show_tables          | 42         |
| Com_show_variables       | 2          |
| Com_slave_start          | 0          |
| Com_slave_stop           | 0          |
| Com_truncate             | 0          |
| Com_unlock_tables        | 0          |
| Com_update               | 4115       |
| Connections              | 3045       |
| Created_tmp_disk_tables  | 0          |
| Created_tmp_tables       | 0          |
| Created_tmp_files        | 0          |
| Delayed_insert_threads   | 0          |
| Delayed_writes           | 0          |
| Delayed_errors           | 0          |
| Flush_commands           | 1          |
| Handler_commit           | 0          |
| Handler_delete           | 9654       |
| Handler_read_first       | 1014       |
| Handler_read_key         | 17492      |
| Handler_read_next        | 56977      |
| Handler_read_prev        | 0          |
| Handler_read_rnd         | 1271       |
| Handler_read_rnd_next    | 1155961730 |
| Handler_rollback         | 0          |
| Handler_update           | 4026       |
| Handler_write            | 155816     |
| Key_blocks_used          | 6192       |
| Key_read_requests        | 270565     |
| Key_reads                | 6087       |
| Key_write_requests       | 14633      |
| Key_writes               | 7484       |
| Max_used_connections     | 108        |
| Not_flushed_key_blocks   | 0          |
| Not_flushed_delayed_rows | 0          |
| Open_tables              | 229        |
| Open_files               | 265        |
| Open_streams             | 0          |
| Opened_tables            | 240        |
| Questions                | 56767      |
| Qcache_queries_in_cache  | 2895       |
| Qcache_inserts           | 15937      |
| Qcache_hits              | 14941      |
| Qcache_lowmem_prunes     | 0          |
| Qcache_not_cached        | 227        |
| Qcache_free_memory       | 16704832   |
| Qcache_free_blocks       | 196        |
| Qcache_total_blocks      | 5973       |
| Rpl_status               | NULL       |
| Select_full_join         | 0          |
| Select_full_range_join   | 0          |
| Select_range             | 0          |
| Select_range_check       | 0          |
| Select_scan              | 3357       |
| Slave_open_temp_tables   | 0          |
| Slave_running            | OFF        |
| Slow_launch_threads      | 4          |
| Slow_queries             | 1117       |
| Sort_merge_passes        | 0          |
| Sort_range               | 1068       |
| Sort_rows                | 1271       |
| Sort_scan                | 0          |
| Table_locks_immediate    | 21150      |
| Table_locks_waited       | 3713       |
| Threads_cached           | 8          |
| Threads_created          | 1229       |
| Threads_connected        | 44         |
| Threads_running          | 33         |
| Uptime                   | 2889       |
+--------------------------+------------+

show variables:
----------------------

IN SHOW VARIABLES i have shose 2 very big numbers i don't know where
they came from

| myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size |
268435456

| myisam_max_sort_file_size       |
9223372036854775807

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Variable_name                   |
Value

+---------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| back_log                        |
50

| basedir                         |
/opt/lams/servers/mysql/

| binlog_cache_size               |
32768

| bulk_insert_buffer_size         |
8388608

| character_set                   |
latin1

| character_sets                  | latin1 big5 czech euc_kr gb2312 gbk
latin1_de sjis tis620 ujis dec8 dos german1 hp8 koi8_ru latin2 swe7 usa7
cp1251 danish hebrew win1251 estonia hungarian koi8_ukr win1251ukr greek
win1250 croat cp1257 latin5 |
| concurrent_insert               |
ON

| connect_timeout                 |
5

| convert_character_set

| datadir                         |
/opt/lams/database/gnr31/

| default_week_format             |
0

| delay_key_write                 |
ON

| delayed_insert_limit            |
100

| delayed_insert_timeout          |
300

| delayed_queue_size              |
1000

| flush                           |
OFF

| flush_time                      |
0

| ft_boolean_syntax               | +
-><()~*:""&|

| ft_min_word_len                 |
4

| ft_max_word_len                 |
254

| ft_max_word_len_for_sort        |
20

| ft_stopword_file                |
(built-in)

| have_bdb                        |
NO

| have_crypt                      |
YES

| have_innodb                     |
DISABLED

| have_isam                       |
YES

| have_raid                       |
NO

| have_symlink                    |
YES

| have_openssl                    |
NO

| have_query_cache                |
YES

| init_file

| innodb_additional_mem_pool_size |
1048576

| innodb_buffer_pool_size         |
8388608

| innodb_data_file_path
|

| innodb_data_home_dir

| innodb_file_io_threads          |
4

| innodb_force_recovery           |
0

| innodb_thread_concurrency       |
8

| innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit  |
1

| innodb_fast_shutdown            |
ON

| innodb_flush_method

| innodb_lock_wait_timeout        |
50

| innodb_log_arch_dir

| innodb_log_archive              |
OFF

| innodb_log_buffer_size          |
1048576

| innodb_log_file_size            |
5242880

| innodb_log_files_in_group       |
2

| innodb_log_group_home_dir

| innodb_mirrored_log_groups      |
1

| innodb_max_dirty_pages_pct      |
90

| interactive_timeout             |
28800

| join_buffer_size                |
131072

| key_buffer_size                 |
629145600

| language                        |
/opt/lams/servers/mysql/share/mysql/english/

| large_files_support             |
ON

| local_infile                    |
ON

| locked_in_memory                |
OFF

| log                             |
ON

| log_update                      |
ON

| log_bin                         |
OFF

| log_slave_updates               |
OFF

| log_slow_queries                |
ON

| log_warnings                    |
ON

| long_query_time                 |
10

| low_priority_updates            |
OFF

| lower_case_table_names          |
OFF

| max_allowed_packet              |
1047552

| max_binlog_cache_size           |
4294967295

| max_binlog_size                 |
1073741824

| max_connections                 |
400

| max_connect_errors              |
10

| max_delayed_threads             |
20

| max_heap_table_size             |
16777216

| max_join_size                   |
18446744073709551615

| max_relay_log_size              |
0

| max_seeks_for_key               |
4294967295

| max_sort_length                 |
1024

| max_user_connections            |
0

| max_tmp_tables                  |
32

| max_write_lock_count            |
4294967295

| myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size |
268435456

| myisam_max_sort_file_size       |
9223372036854775807

| myisam_repair_threads           |
1

| myisam_recover_options          |
OFF

| myisam_sort_buffer_size         |
67108864

| net_buffer_length               |
16384

| net_read_timeout                |
30

| net_retry_count                 |
10

| net_write_timeout               |
60

| new                             |
OFF

| open_files_limit                |
65536

| pid_file                        |
/opt/lams/pid-lock/mysql/gnr31.pid

| log_error                       |
/opt/lams/logs/mysql/gnr31/log-error.err

| port                            |
3306

| protocol_version                |
10

| query_alloc_block_size          |
8192

| query_cache_limit               |
1048576

| query_cache_size                |
19999744

| query_cache_type                |
ON

| query_prealloc_size             |
8192

| range_alloc_block_size          |
2048

| read_buffer_size                |
2093056

| read_only                       |
OFF

| read_rnd_buffer_size            |
262144

| rpl_recovery_rank               |
0

| server_id                       |
31

| slave_net_timeout               |
3600

| skip_external_locking           |
ON

| skip_networking                 |
OFF

| skip_show_database              |
OFF

| slow_launch_time                |
2

| socket                          |
/opt/lams/pid-lock/mysql/gnr31.sock

| sort_buffer_size                |
2097144

| sql_mode                        |
0

| table_cache                     |
512

| table_type                      |
MYISAM

| thread_cache_size               |
8

| thread_stack                    |
196608

| tx_isolation                    |
REPEATABLE-READ

| timezone                        |
EST

| tmp_table_size                  |
33554432

| tmpdir                          |
/opt/lams/temp/mysql/

| transaction_alloc_block_size    |
8192

| transaction_prealloc_size       |
4096

| version                         |
4.0.17-standard-log

| version_comment                 | Official MySQL-standard
binary

| wait_timeout                    |
28800

PLEASEEEE ADVICE, my site is down for 2 days now.

Thanks In Advance,
Derek J