TriKster Abacus wrote:

> I am trying to get some kind of friggin Quake 3 stat generator to work
> on my Quake 3 servers that I have running.
> Currently I am running a program called Q3Log, which is java based, but
> it seems to have stopped working for some reason. (no log to show
> errors). Anyhow, now my only option is to run a MySql / php backend stat
> generator.

<snip>

TriKster,
The "mysql.sock" you refer to is what is known in the *nix world as a
named pipe. It is how applications can communicate with each other
without using network sockets. When you get the

"Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock'"

That usually means that mysql is not running. Did you try
`ps -eaf |grep -i mysql` to see if mysql was running? If it was running,
then you know that the mysql client is not looking in the correct place.
If you do a "man msql" you'll see that you can add a "-S" flag to
specify the socket to use.

The fact that mysql doesn't appear to start can be caused by many things
that aren't really related to mysql. You said you did a "chmod 755" on
the mysql directory. Did you do that as root. If so, how do expect the
"mysql user" to write anything to that directory?

The first thing you need to do is get mysql running. Try to start mysql
and if you get a "mysqld ended" then oviously it's not running and how
are you going to connect to a database that's not running? Try su -
mysql and then `chmod 755 /var/lib/mysql`. Then try to start mysql again
as the "OS" root user.

walt