From: Don Matlock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 7:24 PM
To: 'Larry Brown'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: MYsql wont start

Hi,
Thanx for the prompt reply.
What I did is I told X not to start on boot, so I went into
/etc/inittab and told it to run at run level 3...thats when mysql
stopped all together.  When I put it back to 5, mysql was running again,
but in the boot up sequence it says it timed out while starting...heres
the output from the command you mentioned:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# service mysqld restart
Stopping MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

Heres a quote from the log:

040104 16:11:05  mysqld started
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
040104 16:12:06  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown

040104 16:12:06  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

040104 16:12:06  mysqld ended

040104 16:16:04  mysqld started

I have done just what the log says and it still fails.

Don