On 5 Jan 2004 at 14:18, Chris Seidel wrote:

> Thus I had to reset the max_allowed_packet size to allow for larger
> packets by restarting the server with
>
> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --set-variable
> max_allowed_packet=10M >/dev/null 2>&1 &
>
> To do this I edited the mysqld file in /etc/init.d so that this
> variable will be set whenever safe_mysqld starts up. I would have
> thought this could be specified in my.cnf, but it doesn't seem so.

What makes you think it can't?  I've had this in the [mysqld] section
of my my.cnf for ages, and it works fine:

   set-variable = max_allowed_packet=16M

I see now that that syntax is deprecated in MySQL 4.0, so I should at
some point change it to

   max_allowed_packet = 16M

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>