>hi
>the mysql manual suggests that we use the
>mysql_escape_string() function when generating dynamic
>urls. is there any other situation when it is
>required? and could someone explain when/why this
>would be needed for urls...other than to make the
>browser understand that character (such as ' # etc. in
>the url).

>and if magic_quotes_gpc is on, any and all escape
>characters are backslashed right? how does when check
>what the accepted mysql escape characters are? (like
>-- for a comment)

>thanks
>abs

I leave magic quotes off and make a habit for using mysql_real_escape_string on any
components of my query that are dynamic. So if I have the user enter a name to search
for I would do:

$query = "SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE username = '" .
mysql_real_escape_string($userdata) . "'";

You should escape anything you do not trust.

Regards,
Mike Hillyer
www.vbmysql.com