I have a mysql database that is running in conjunction with a PHP website,
and I am experiencing some significant slowdowns in times of moderate
traffic.

Now, by moderate, I mean moderate for them, but fairly light traffic in
terms of actual visitors.

The library the is causing the slowdowns simple updates a 'last_active'
variable in a sessions table in mysql which normally has no affect on
period, is anywhere from 50 - 60 processes that are 'sleeping' in the
database when I do a show processlist.  E.g.
+--------+--------+-----------+--------+---------+------+--------------+----
----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Id     | User   | Host      | db     | Command | Time | State        |
Info                                                                     |
+--------+--------+-----------+--------+---------+------+--------------+----
----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 680849 | tienda | localhost | tienda | Sleep   | 22   |              |
NULL                                                                     |
| 680859 | tienda | localhost | tienda | Sleep   | 154  |              |
NULL                                                                     |
| 680878 | tienda | localhost | tienda | Sleep   | 101  |              |
NULL                                                                     |
| 680942 | tienda | localhost | tienda | Sleep   | 96   |              |
NULL                                                                     |

But upwards of as I said, 50 - 60 of them at any given time.

I do not have a slow day comparison to offer, but I have done many a sight
and never seen sleeping processes like this.

The question is, could these be affecting the slowness of the database, as I
have determined that it is the database that is slowing down the site.

The largest table holds only 42K rows, and the most accessed table is
indexed with the most accessed fields and holds only 16K rows, so there
should be no problem there.

The max connections is set to 300, and the version is 3.23.47

The PHP version is 4.2.3 and I am NOT using mysql_pconnect but rather
mysql_connect:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]("localhost","<blocked>","<blocked>");
@mysql_select_db("tienda");

Because it is a shared box, I do not have access to make a lot of changes,
but the company is very co-operative and I am sure would be helpful for
making small setting changes, as long as we are not talking major version
updates, as they do have other clients using the server.

I cannot think of anything else that I can pass on, if anyone has any
suggestions or ideas I would appreciate it as I am plumb out of them! :)

TIA

--
Cheers

Mike Morton

*
* Tel: 905-465-1263
* Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*

"Indeed, it would not be an exaggeration to describe the history of the
computer industry for the past decade as a massive effort to keep up with
Apple."
- Byte Magazine

Given infinite time, 100 monkeys could type out the complete works of
Shakespeare. Win 98 source code? Eight monkeys, five minutes.
-- NullGrey