This article discusses it briefly:
http://php.dreamwerx.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6

I am using this type of design/technology for quite a few clients. Some
storing gigs and gigs of data (images, documents, pdf, anything) over
multiple servers.

The scalability and performance of a well designed system I think are
very close to standard filesystem storage.

I have currently written http and ftp gateways to access data stored in
mysql dataservers(databases).  Quite easy and fast...

I have yet to do much with searching and indexing of files (not required)
but I would imagine you could have very fast searching features.