Greetings,

My DB consists of INNODB tables, such as...

CREATE TABLE user
(
name VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL

) TYPE = INNODB;

The NOT NULL qualifier doesn't have the effect I expected. Although I
can't do this...

INSERT user VALUES (null);

I can do this:

INSERT user VALUES ("");

I appreciate that one could argue "" is different to NULL and
therefore there is nothing wrong with this behaviour. However, surely
there is no defending the following (which is also allowed):

UPDATE user SET name = NULL;

Is there any way I can prevent a field from being set to NULL or "" (or
even just NULL)? I am using version 4.0.17-nt

Thanks in advance,
Dónal